Data Engineer, Security Operations
Data Engineer, Security Operations
Find out more about the vacancy and apply below.
About the role
As a Security Data Engineer at Benchling you’ll be joining a team responsible for building a best-in-class security program from the ground up. Our focus is on providing value to the organization by emphasizing real world security and embracing automation to keep up with the company as we experience hypergrowth. We’re looking for engineers who are excited to apply their expertise to our mission of securing some of society's most sensitive data.
YOU MIGHT WORK ON
- Designing, constructing, testing and maintaining a robust, reliable, and scalable security data pipeline infrastructure
- Partnering with Security Incident Response Engineers on threat detection engineering (e.g alerts, searches, reports, etc.)
- Partnering with the multiple engineering teams on internal and customer facing security and privacy initiatives, ensuring that security data accessibility, quality, and reliability are taken into account
- Employing an array of technological tools to integrate with 3rd-party data systems
- Partnering with Security Engineering, Infrastructure Engineering, and Software Engineering on security feature roadmaps and security architecture
- Researching new detection mechanisms for attack vectors and techniques relevant to our space and presenting findings to both internal and external audiences
- Developing set processes for data mining, data modeling, and data production
- Partnering with Security Incident Response Engineers during incident response and investigations
- Evaluating external tooling, developing new automation and tooling
- Helping to rapidly scale our team. As a member of the security team, you'll be an integral part of how we mature our own tooling, best practices, engineering processes, and hiring
- 5-10 years of working on backend infrastructure/data systems or with application/infrastructure logging pipelines
- 4+ years of those years of experience in Security Engineering or related experience
- Experience writing code, designing systems and data workflows, optimizing data processing algorithms, and systems to support security data analytics
- In-Depth knowledge of AWS cloud infrastructure and its associated security suites (e.g., IAM, GuardDuty, Inspector, CloudTrail, CloudWatch, etc)
- Familiarity with modern infrastructure technologies such as: Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform, Cloudformation, Kinesis
- Relevant development experience in at least one scripting language, preferably Python
- Strong communicator with both words and data - you understand what it takes to go from raw Security data to something a human understands
- Comfortable with complexity in the short term but can build towards simplicity in the long term
- Detection and Response experience (Detection Engineering, Digital Forensics, Incident Response, and/or Threat Intelligence)
- Technical leadership skills (you enjoy being a tech lead, mentoring technologists, evangelizing security and privacy)
- Plus: Contributions to the security community via talks, papers, blogs, projects, CVEs, etc.
Over the next 10 years, biotech will fundamentally rewrite the way we live. Gene editing and cell therapy will dramatically change how we treat cancer and other major illnesses. Biofuels and biomaterials will transform the cars we drive, the clothes we wear, and the makeup of everyday objects. Crop science and synthetic biology will produce sustainable and ethical food. Benchling’s mission is to accelerate the research that propels us towards this future, and magnify its impact, through modern software.
Every day, scientists around the world use Benchling in their efforts to solve humanity's most pressing problems. For these scientists, Benchling is the central technology they use to conduct their research.
Benchling was founded by a team of MIT graduates and has raised funding from Benchmark, Andreessen Horowitz, Thrive Capital, and Y Combinator. Our customers include pharmaceutical giants, leading biotechs, and the world's most renowned research institutes.