Location: Milwaukee, WI or Mayfield Heights, OH
Role in detail
Rockwell Automation’s Sensing, Safety, & Industrial Components Business (SIC) is seeking an experienced Software Architect to lead the creation & execution of a SIC Device Management strategy. The SIC business has an ever-expanding portfolio of Smart Devices, so the successful candidate will have an opportunity to significantly contribute to Rockwell Automations Connected Enterprise vision.
Device Management aspect includes defining smart devices configuration processes, consistent and modern user workflows, data exchanges from point of origination to diverse applications level, and other architectural constructs that provide Premier Integration in diverse systems. This role will provide a significant opportunity to be the sole architect to design and develop industry-leading automation products (Motor Control and Protection devices, Industrial Components, I/O modules, drives, sensors, actuators, etc.).
In this role, you will participate in Integrated Architecture designs, collaborating and influencing diverse cross-functional teams and architects across different businesses, influencing business strategies, designing, and harmonizing data analytics around products/systems/solutions, collaborating with UX Architects to help design modern graphical user interfaces. In this role, you will provide technical leadership and guidance to the development teams to define, design, and develop new features and capabilities related to Industrial Device Management, participating in the full development lifecycle. You will be involved in leading technical aspects of multi-team projects involving complex system designs, product architecture designs.
- Participates with technology management, product marketing and development engineering to establish project objectives and requirements related to Device Management. Evaluates Technology solutions.
- Contributes to or develops architectural designs and independently develops complex system designs that meet the requirements. Provides skills needs and time estimation for the design. Considers tradeoffs between requirements, speed, cost, and reliability in the choice of a design approach.
- Does advance work, including use case and persona development, requirements, on a feature before a development team is in place.
- Maintain technical expertise in field. Keep current through contacts with educational institutions, professional societies, and technical publications. Maintain awareness of applicable new technologies, processes, and competitive trends.
- Promote and coordinate, technical activities with standards organizations, consortia, government agencies, leading universities, and other Rockwell organizations.
- Functions as a go-to person for automation device expertise. Consults across multiple teams. Assist as requested with problem resolution, product design reviews, and technical strategy analysis and development. Significantly contribute to the development and implementation of the product strategic direction in device management.
- Function as a technical lead of a large development team or lead technical aspects of a multi-team project.
- Clearly communicates and conveys design concepts, both verbally and written. Able to learn and understand complex control system concepts. Able to use formal modeling as needed.
- Effectively teams with others through mutually supportive professional relationships, open and direct communications, honesty, and respect.
- Conduct tasks in accordance with applicable health, safety, quality, and environmental regulations (state/federal laws, ISO 9001, ISO 14000, etc.) as well as Rockwell Automation policies and procedures.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical or Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent science degree and applicable experience. Graduate degree preferred.
- Minimum of 12 years in product development experience
- Minimum of five years of device management product development experience.
- Legal Authorization to work in the US is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visa, nor or in the future for this job opening.
- Significant familiarity with industrial automation devices and their function – the data they produce or consume, their configuration data, the communications interfaces/standards that are relevant in the industry.
- Requires strong interpersonal, leadership, organizational and written/verbal communication skills.
- Requires an ability to sell ideas and present strategies at all organization levels.
- Previous technical team leadership
- Agile software development using Scrum/SAFe
- Must be able to travel occasionally to customer and vendor sites throughout the world.
- Technology change leader.
- Direct involvement with the Industrial Automation industry.
- Experience with various industry protocols. Examples include EtherNet/IP, OPC, OPC-US, etc.
- Experience with various fieldbus protocols. Examples might include HART, IO-Link, etc.
- Experience understanding how users apply devices in automation systems to create successful field installations.
- Experience with both local and global technical development team environments.
This is a summary of the position’s responsibilities and does not reflect the entire scope of work expectations.
This position may have limited travel to U.S. and international Rockwell Automation locations or distributors.
Rockwell Automation, the world's largest company dedicated to industrial automation, employs about 22,000 individuals globally, makes its customers more productive and the world more sustainable. Throughout the world, our flagship Allen-Bradley® and Rockwell Software® product brands are recognized for innovation and excellence and serve customers in more than 80 countries worldwide. When you choose Rockwell Automation, you join talented employees who have helped us establish our leadership position in the automation industry over the past century. You join a diverse, inclusive, and global community with a passion for innovation. A place where you can partner with great minds and inspiring people. As much as we focus on our customers, we know our employees are key to our success and future. Helping you develop a rewarding career is a top priority. Because when you succeed, we succeed.
Rockwell Automation is an Equal Opportunity Employer including disability and veterans.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or reasonable accommodation during the application process, please contact our services team at +1 (844) 404-7427.